Sunday, August 29, 2010

Black walnut snath



From the mailbox at ScytheConnection.com, sent by the happy maker of a beautiful snath:





To the Vido Family,
I want to thank you for all the fabulous information you have published. Your web pages inspired me to construct a wild-wood "one-grip" snath. I used black walnut and ash from dead wood found on the property and antique hand tools found at a garage sale. I'm so glad I found and your website and decided to build my own. I would not have been able to do it without you. Thank you so very much.

Today, I completed the setup and mowed a section of very mature forage grasses and chickweed.  I am tickled with the results.

All the best,
M.












Some initial comments from me about this snath
(Peter Vido might have other comments to add):

1.  The wood is attractive; the coloration is striking.

2.  The grip looks like it is set at a good angle (slightly toward the blade).

3.  The location of the grip looks proportionally close to the blade; I'd know more by seeing a photo of the snath being used and the resulting position of the user's body.

4.  With the curves, I can only guess at the hafting, but a more acutely hafted blade may give even better results.

5.  The tang steepness and the lay of the blade in use is likewise unknown to me at this point.

6.  My overall impression is quite positive, especially since the maker is so happy with the results.































No comments:

Post a Comment